Registration of optometrists
All optometrist in Malaysia must be registered with the Malaysian Optical Council. It is illegal for an unregistered person (other than a medical practitioner) to practise optometry in Malaysia.
SCOPE OF PRACTICE
Malaysian optometrists’ basic range of clinical skills and procedures include:
- Refraction: Measuring the optics of the eye
- Binocular vision tests: Testing the co-ordination of the two eyes as a team
- Ophthalmoscopy: Internal examination of the eye for eye disease
- Slit lamp biomicroscopy: External, detailed examination of the eye
- Tonometry: Measuring the pressure of the eyeball
- Optical Dispensing: Supply and management of spectacles and contact lens
Optometrists also develop and implement ways to protect workers’ eyes from occupational eye strain or injury. Other specialist areas include:
- contact lenses;
- colour vision; and
- vision therapy.